Rep. Adam Smith (D-WA) toured a Rite Aid pharmacy in Belleview, Wash.
Members of Congress leave Washington, D.C., every year during August for their summer recess, which provides an excellent opportunity for the NACDS RxIMPACT program to kick into high gear. Lawmakers are back in their home districts during this time, which has proved to be extremely productive for grassroots advocacy.
Reports from the field have been extremely positive.
Rep. Adam Smith (D-WA) toured a Rite Aid pharmacy in Belleview, Wash., and asked the pharmacy team about the pharmacist’s role in patient care. The team explained how pharmacists assess a patient’s therapy and the interventions they would recommend. They also discussed the adverse effects direct and indirect remuneration (DIR) fees are having on seniors in Medicare Part D and on pharmacies across the country.
Many of the recent NACDS RxIMPACT pharmacy tours have been directly with members of Congress themselves—68 percent so far this year
Many of the recent NACDS RxIMPACT pharmacy tours have been directly with members of Congress themselves—68 percent so far this year—who have come to see firsthand the value of healthcare delivery to their constituents in the pharmacies that serve their communities. Additionally, meetings with congressional staff also prove highly effective, as these people are highly influential in policymaking and in determining whose perspectives are insightful when seeking input on emerging issues.
Recent NACDS RxIMPACT in-district activities:
- Weis Pharmacy hosted a pharmacy tour for newly-elected Rep. Fred Keller (R-PA) in Wellsboro, Pa.
- H-E-B hosted a pharmacy tour for Rep. Will Hurd (R-TX) in San Antonio, Texas
- Discount Drug Mart, Inc., represented NACDS-PAC at a fundraising event for newly-elected Rep. Anthony Gonzalez (R-OH) in Wooster, Ohio
- Albertsons Companies hosted a pharmacy tour for House Ways & Means Committee Member Rep. Adrian Smith’s (R-NE) staff advisor in Scottsbluff, Neb.
- H-E-B hosted a pharmacy tour for House Energy & Commerce Committee member Rep. Pete Olson (R-TX) in Pearland, Texas
- Brookshire Grocery Co., hosted a pharmacy tour for newly-elected Rep. Van Taylor (R-TX) in Anna, Texas
- The Kroger Co., hosted a pharmacy tour for newly-elected Rep. Steve Watkins (R-KS) in Lawrence, Kan.
- Ingles Pharmacy hosted a pharmacy tour for newly-elected Rep. Tim Burchett’s (R-TN) staff advisor in Powell, Tenn.